Wednesday, March 16, 2011

trips

It had been a week and
money hadn't been an issue for me,
but you'd gotten your
fair share
of shit from the world.

So I drove from Ohio to St. Louis,
tried to make it all the way
but a grand storm
seemed to
present itself
in the nick of time
for me to sit
and wait
in Denny's.
Nursing a slow cup of coffee
and a scathed sense of hope
still.

There was an old couple
that didn't look at each other
the entire
time
they ate.
They ate apart
while they were together.

And a lady and her son,
the son giving me looks now and again,
watching a teenage girl watch him.
And the lady stared at him across her plate,
thinking.
I can only assume she thought,
"What am I doing?"
Something
along the lines of
insanity/happiness.


I can
only
assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?