Wednesday, May 30, 2012

like a fictional character's pain


a hand
touching my cheek,
I feel it there - warm - settling on my
skin like debris settles
on the earth after the
explosion.

I can soon feel the bruises bloom
beneath my skin, they are varied in
color and in size and they remind me
so much of
the valleys I've left in my wake,
I wouldn't call them craters for
they are not baren. I do believe in
the preservation of life
in all things, I find it necessary.

but without warning the hand disappears like mist
though my fingers, I cling to something like the
dew you see so often in the early morning, I cling to
space and to time and to the very edge of
everything, that is, everything that I can
think of.

instead of sorrow I feel only emptiness, no stabs of
pain or gasps gasped in horror, just
a dead-pan expression
and hollow
silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?